Animal Control

  1. Environmental Services

Enviromental Services Building

365-A N Donahue Dr

  1. Email:
  2. Phone: (334) 501-3080
  3. Hours:  M-F: 7:30AM-4:30PM

Timothy Woody

Environmental Services Director

  1. Phone: (334) 501-3080
  2. Email:

About Us

Ensuring the health and safety of City of Auburn residents and companion animals through the enforcement of dog related ordinances, and the promotion of pet safety and responsible pet ownership.

Animal Care and Control

Information on the Animal Ordinance

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Animal Control

Q: How often does Animal Control patrol my neighborhood?

A: Animal Control officers patrol the City on a frequent basis. If you notice dogs running at large or you encounter other similar problems that need immediate attention, please contact Animal Control at 501-3090. For after-hour emergencies ONLY, please call Public Safety Non-Emergency 501-3100.

Q: How do I obtain a dog license?

A: A dog license is not required, but owners must have proof of rabies vaccination.

Q: My animal is missing, what do I do?

A: Contact Animal Control at 501-3090 or the Lee County Humane Society at 821-3222.

Q: What do I do if I'm bitten by an animal?

A: Contact the Public Safety Non-Emergency at 501-3100 and seek medical attention as needed. The police will contact Animal Control.

Q: Is there a leash law for dogs in Auburn?

A: Yes. See below.

(1) The dog is confined in a building, fenced pen, or fenced yard on its owner's property, or on the property of another person with the other person's consent.

(2) The dog is leashed.

(3) The dog is tethered on its owner's property or on the property of another person with the other person's permission, in such a position that the dog cannot gain access to public property or other private property.

(4) The dog, though not meeting any of the conditions stated in paragraphs (1), (2) and (3), above, is in a peaceful attitude on the property of its owner; and is wearing rabies vaccination tags.

Q: I own a dog, but no longer wish to take care of it. Can Animal Control pick the dog up?

A: It is not Animal Control’s policy to remove owned animals from their owner's property. You may transport the dog to the Lee County Humane Society.

Q: I have witnessed someone abusing animals, what do I do?

A: Please contact Animal Control at 501-3090 during business hours. For immediate attention, contact the Public Safety Non-Emergency at 501-3100.

Q: What are the rules regarding barking dogs?

A: No owner shall permit a dog to habitually bark or yelp in such a loud and frequent manner as to annoy and disturb the public in the vicinity. Contact Animal Control at 501-3090 or Public Safety Non-Emergency at 501-3100 for assistance.

Q: What steps should I take to deal with stray cats?

A: It is not Animal Control's policy to deal with stray cats, but here are some suggestions to help citizens deal with stray cats:

  1. Do not feed stray cats. This will reduce the chance of stray cats hanging around your property.
  2. Remove potential food sources (e.g., pet food, unsecured garbage containers). By removing potential food sources, you will reduce the chance of stray cats hanging around your property.
  3. If stray cats become a nuisance, you may borrow a cat trap (the traps are humane) from Animal Control. Contact Animal Control at 501-3090 for further information about obtaining a cat trap.


Q: I have some kind of wildlife (e.g., raccoon, oppossum) in my attic/under my house, what should I do?

A: Contact Animal Control for direction or a pest management company for service.

Q: If I find some kind of wildlife in my yard, what should I do?

A: Do not make contact with wildlife. Contact Animal Control for assistance.