Q Who is eligible to participate in the City's curbside recycling program?
A Currently, only City residential solid waste customers (those that receive garbage services provided by the City) are eligible to receive curbside recycling services.
Q When is curbside recycling collected in my area and at what time should I place it out for collection?
A Your recycling is collected on the same day as your garbage and should be placed out the night before collection or no later than 6 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Scroll to the bottom of this page and input your address to view your collection schedule or go to our interactive map Auburn GIS Maps and click on the General Interactive or Public Service map to view the routing schedule or contact our office at 501-3080 to ascertain your scheduled collection day.
Q What types of recyclables are collected at curbside?
A Here is what we collect at curbside:
- Plastics #1 - #7 (no plastic bags or plastic straws; items should be rinsed and clean)
- Aluminum cans (items should be rinsed and clean)
- Steel/tin cans (items should be rinsed and clean)
- Cardboard (flatten)
- Mixed office paper, junk mail, etc.
- NO Glass or plastic bags are accepted
Q Are there any special instructions for placing recyclables out for collection?
A Recyclables should be placed a few feet away from the trash and garbage and within three (3) feet from the roadway. The City currently utilizes a single stream collection service. Here are some tips to help make collection easier:
- Aluminum cans - crushing helps, but is not necessary; items should be rinsed and clean
- Cardboard - should be flattened/broken down
- Glass - containers should be separated by color
- Newspaper - should be bundled and neatly stacked
- Steel cans - should be separated from aluminum cans; items should be rinsed and clean
- Plastics - #1- #7- no plastic bags or plastic straws; items should be rinsed and clean
Q Is there a drop-off site for those of us who are not eligible not receive City curbside recycling collection service?
A Yes. The RecycleAuburn drop-off center is located at 365-A North Donahue Drive (Environmental Services facility) and is open 24 hours a day year round. All recyclables collected as a part of the curbside program may be recycled at the drop-off center, in addition to the following items:
- Batteries - transistor only up to size D - no automobile, marine batteries, etc.
- Cellular phones
- Cooking grease/oil - pick up an empty container at the center and return it when full
- Green glass - items should be rinsed and clean
- Magazines/telephone books
- Mixed office paper
- Plastics #1-#7 no plastic bags or plastics straws; items should be rinsed and clean
Q Can I recycle computers, or other electronics?
A Yes. Computer equipment and electronics that are not televisions or monitors may be recycled, but an appointment must be made as these items require special handling. Please contact Environmental Services at 501-3080 for an appointment to drop off your computer equipment. If you have televisions or computers monitors that you need to dispose of, place those items at curbside for collection along with your other trash.
Q Where are the recyclables disposed of?
A General recycling materials are transported to Waste Recycling, Inc. which is located in Opelika, AL or Pratt Recycling, Inc. located in Columbus, GA. Electronics are submitted to permitted processors within the southeastern United States.