Trash FAQs

  1. Environmental Services
  2. Garbage and Recycling

Environmental Services Building

365-A N Donahue Dr

  1. Email: [email protected]
  2. Phone: (334) 501-3080
  3. Hours:  M-F: 7:30AM-4:30PM

Ivey Culver

Division Manager, Green Waste

  1. Phone: (334) 501-3083
  2. Email: [email protected]

Q: When is trash collected in my area?
A: Your trash is scheduled to be collected on the same day as your garbage. Scroll to the bottom of this page and input your address to view your collection schedule or go to our interactive map Auburn GIS Maps and click on the General Interactive or Public Service map to view the routing schedule or contact our office at (334)501-3080 to ascertain your scheduled collection day.

Q: What time should I place my yard waste out at the curb on my collection day?
A: Trash piles should be placed at the curb either the evening before your collection day or no later than 6 a.m. on your collection day.

Q: What types of material may I place out for trash collection?
A: Trash should be placed in one pile. Please remove loose or unobstructed nails, screws that could injure collection personnel. Please do not place multiple piles out for collection.

Q: Where in my yard should I place my trash?
A: Place yard waste within three feet from the roadway, but not in the street/and or on sidewalks to prevent traffic and/or pedestrian hazards. Trash should be placed in front of your residence and not on medians, vacant or abandoned property, or another’s property. Additionally, “community piles” are prohibited.

Q: Should I bag my grass clippings and leaves for collection?
A: Customers are not required to bag grass clippings, nor leaves but it is suggested as the wind may scatter the debris and prevent the collection of your material.

Q: Are there limitations on the volume of trash, bulky waste, yard and tree trimmings that I am allowed to place out for collection on my scheduled collection day?
A: Each residence is limited to 5 cubic yards (6 feet x 6 feet x 4 feet) of material each week. Debris piles in excess of this limit may be assessed additional charges. Should the limited amount be exceeded, arrangements may be made with the department for collection at a charge of $50 per half trailer load or $100 for amounts exceeding one-half trailer load and an additional $100 per return trip. Also, please do not place multiple piles out for collection.

Q: Are there items that I am not permitted to place out for trash collection?
A: Yes. Prohibited items include household garbage, animal waste, concrete, dirt, roofing shingles, rocks, sawdust, tires, large tree stumps, hazardous materials such as antifreeze, insect sprays, herbicides, etc. Please save hazardous chemical items for our annual Hazardous Household Waste Disposal event which will be advertised via our website, newspaper, Open Line, radio, etc.

Q: Are there areas that I am not permitted to place my trash?
A: Yes. To prevent flooding and other water-drainage issues, trash should not be placed in/on roadway gutters, ditches, culverts, or other areas of the City’s storm drain system.

Q: Is it permitted to place materials out that were generated from a commercial clearing project?
A: No. Commercial building materials and woody debris generated from lot clearing projects should be removed by the company utilized.

Q: What if I have a dryer, hot water heater, TV, monitor, refrigerator or microwave that is no longer operable, am I permitted to place it out for trash collection?
A: Yes. Place it at curbside for collection along with the rest of your bulky/yard debris.

Q: Where is the trash disposed of?
A: Currently, all trash is transported to the Sand Hill Recycling Center, Inc. located just outside of Auburn. The woody debris is ground into mulch and used in some instances during landscape construction projects and/or for landfill cover as permitted. White goods (appliances) are usually crushed and recycled after all freon has been removed according to regulations. All other trash material that is not recyclable (typically 40% or less of the total volume submitted by the City) is then transported to a permitted Construction and Demolition (C&D) facility or processed otherwise as allowed under Alabama environmental regulations.